Pages

Girl....You'll be a woman soon

Thursday, April 24, 2008


Allright, so back in the day when I was in the making the PTA rounds I volunteered to help out with the "Maturation Program". You all know what that is right? It's that dreaded day when as a pre-teen they huddle you into a darkened room like sheep to the slaughter and show you the horrifying and confusing "sex education" movie. You know the movie; it's in B&W and from the 50's and you have absolutely no idea what they are talking about because in those days they didn't say things like "period" or "uterus" and they replaced those terms with "flower" and "fertile valley". Thankfully, things have gotten much better. I was on hand for the last installment of the program to set up refreshments and I had brought Random Child and Dimpled Child along with me. As I was finishing the set-up, the gal giving the presentation was starting. She was very informal and relaxed and instead of looking horrified like I was back then, the girls were giggling (Ok, I was giggling too because I still laugh when I hear the words "tampon" or "pad"; sadly I have not yet progressed past 3rd grade mentality). The presenter proceeded to tell the girls, "There are some big changes that are going to be happening to all of you". At that moment Random Child's head popped up and with a bewildered look he said, "What?!". In true Mackie fashion, his comment was loud enough to be heard within a 5 mile radius and everyone was laughing. Hmm....maybe it's time to pay a little visit to the room where they are giving the "boys version".

4 comments:

The Lyon Family said...

That Mackie is hilarious. He always knows just the right time to pipe up.

k2 said...

ROL. :) :):) OMG. You picked the perfect picture to illustrate. The child would make a great stand up comedian.

Ben and Lori said...

I am dying laughing. I can't help it!! Malia you are so funny, Makeli is unbelievable!! I love reading your posts, they crack me up everytime. I miss you.

k2 said...

Hey, doesn't Mackie look like Simon Cowl[sp]?